Sunday, August 21, 2011

Thinking and reading...

Those are two things that have always gone hand in hand in my life thinking and reading.

Most of my childhood was spent with my nose in a book, even if it was the five minutes from school to home but somewhere along the way that stopped. Somewhere in time things got complicated and I stopped thinking and reading. I wanted to just read and when I did that without thinking well I didn't understand the books. Even a simple fourth grade reading level book that I read at least twice in the period from fifth grade to entering high school and neither time did I understand it. As a second year college senior I sat on the floor outside of the dance studio where my eight am pilates class was held I read it with utter fascination that I finally was able to understand what was going on. I wanted to cry because it was so beautiful and I wished that I hadn't spent all of those years thinking that it was a horrible book. This was also the same way I felt as a college freshman in a remedial math class when I finally understood the particulars of graphing functions and how to figure them out. (I still however do not understand the particulars of figuring out how to make a mixed nut combination that costs $4.99 a pound.)

I've been thinking a lot about why that book never appealed to my mind. I'm not sure if I was in such a hurry to read it that I couldn't create Wales in my head or that I didn't understand how the past and the present could so seamlessly glide back and forth.

I am still in awe of what I am seeing in the Lord of the Rings movies that I wondered why I hated The Hobbit that I never even attempted to read the trilogy. But at the same time I could jump into just about any of the Dragon Riders of Pern books and still desire to read even more of them. I think that I've read six of the books in that magnificent series and know that there are more that I have yet to read. I think the last time I had that bug I couldn't find them in the public library.

I will talk more about my obsession with books.

love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment