Monday, October 3, 2011

Quack quack quack...

Quacks come in threes remember that.

I probably will not get a post out tomorrow and if I do it will be tough to slam one out while at work. Yes I am just a bit sad that I have to work tomorrow. But I get a three day weekend because my boss told me to take Saturday and I already have Monday off so that I can take a test.

Things are not gelling at all this week but I will admit that today was a miraculously short day. The first time I looked at the clock is was a quarter to ten, which never happens on a Monday. I did however spend most of my day pasting the DU logo into a Word document to make table markers for the banquet. Tomorrow will cross off the first thing of the busy season which really starts in September and runs through to March.

September is usually when we first start having tropical storms hitting the coast which means we have to be prepared for that at work, this hurricane season those has proved to be extremely disappointing. As Summer winds down we are faced with an onslaught of packages first from market and then from DU. The word Ducks gets thrown around like a code word in those months. I didn't have to work on Ducks last year because I was student teaching but it doesn't seem as chaotic this year as it has in the past.

Then as soon as Ducks is over we start trying to gear up in my department for Thanksgiving which will run into Tent sale which is out annual sale and then into Christmas. December and January are chock full of deliveries first from the tent sale and regular Christmas purchases. January deliveries are more about the special orders that we ordered for tent sale. The beginning of the year is also when we start doing inventory which is a nightmare and a half. I will probably start working on pushing out as much of my merchandise as possible in the next month or so to just make that month better.

January and February also usually bring some kind of winter disaster that as far south as we are we are never prepared for. It is one day of not a blessed soul in the store which you pray for during inventory because we stay open during inventory which makes it difficult as well. I think that this year I will be working on making some lists of the items that are not huge sellers during that time of the season. I have boxes of mess that are the problem when it comes to inventory. That one day of no one is followed by two to three days of solid non-stop customers waiting for pipe to be cut. We actually ran out of things this year because the foul weather hit after our order went in and before it arrived. So we were working with whatever happened to be on a regular order, well actually what was left and on Friday the truck came in and that was gone before anything. There were a few things we had to wait until Tuesday for the next truck to come in.

It is always crazy but these are the months that are much more than normal.

love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment