Sunday, January 13, 2013

30 Before 30...Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister

So confession on this one...I finished the book and completely forgot that it was on this list. I was looking over it to see what else I had to read in an ever shortening timeline.

It was a lovely book that I read because I like what Maguire did in Wicked and the background story of the witches of Oz.

Since it has been so long I don't have a lot to say about the book but I like that it was more in line with the original fairy tale of Cinderella and less Disney than what we are accustomed to as well. Clara is our classic Cinderella and her stepsisters are the plain Iris and then Ruth who is the oldest and well as you read you draw your own conclusions about her.

Iris is the one who holds the family together through the story and makes sure that the family will make it through all the tough times. I really can't remember too much of the story because it has been so long since I read the book and I don't really want to rip off another person's thoughts on the book.

My favorite character had to be Ruth because it isn't until the very end that you find out that she is the narrator and then it hits you. I've read that there is a chance she may have been autistic and that is a possibility. You realize that she has a keen eye for details and has been the one telling the story.  I had to wonder if she didn't suffer from PTSD as a result of being run out of their home as a small child. I think that she became introverted as a way of protecting herself from her mother's hateful attitude and resentment. She knows that her mother has come back to Haarlem without any money. with no prospects and it is dangerous for her. To be beautiful and smart her mother would have been quick to try and marry her off to someone in order to gain a place for her family. Which is ultimately what the mother accomplishes by killing Clara's mother and then marrying her father.

I don't want to ruin some of the details that make this story unique but is worth the read. I promise that if you like to look at the traditional from a different angle then you will enjoy this story.

love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment