Wednesday, October 10, 2012

30 before 30...Eat, Pray, Love

Eat Pray Love  by Elizabeth Gilbert

I know that it has been several months since I actually finished this one and well I really just haven't gotten around to putting it on here. I guess that's really it has been a few crazy months.

I had issues with this book. There was just something about this story that made me uncomfortable. This is the story of Elizabeth and her journey to find herself and recover from a devastating divorce. I struggled to read parts of this book and not for the reasons that I normally struggle with a book. I have never read words that translated into my soul more than hers, her struggles became mine. I thought about her after I closed the book at night, I put myself in her shoes, it made me think.

Her journey takes her first to Italy where she learns that there is more to life than what we Americans think. The biggest lesson that she learns is that as Americans we take the simple things in life for granted and that there are times when doing nothing is just as sweet as doing everything possible. She takes time to enjoy food at every chance she can with little regard to her pants even going as far as to struggle to zip a pair of jeans and even succumbing to buying larger ones in favor of stopping eating. Never once do you read about her going to a museum or raving on and on about the architectural wonders of Rome. That is what Americans do, we go to Europe and look at all the touristy things instead of doing what locals do and relax and enjoy.

Elizabeth hops a plane from Italy to India where she spends her time at an ashram. Anyone who has ever spent time with their own thoughts knows that can really be the devil. Being alone with your thoughts is when the devil really starts pulling out the skeletons in your closet. Some times you just get sucked in by that little voice that tears you down and that brings all those things you have buried deep down and makes you feel like poo. She suffers from demons that she doesn't always tell you about and we all respect that because I know that I wouldn't want to bring all of those things back into the light.

From there she goes to Indonesia to send time with a medicine man. To me this is where the book started to drag and I really don't remember what happened. I know that is the worst thing that I could say about a book that it started to get a little boring and I was just trying to get to the end of the book. I rushed a little and I do know that she finally found love and balance.

It was good not sure though if I would recommend it to others. I would pick the movie over the book on this one instead of the book over the movie and that never happens in my house.

love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment