Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Just couldn't get to where I was going...

I got to the end of last post and didn't get anywhere near where I wanted to.

What I was thinking about was old photos or really black and white photos. I don't know why it is but I find black and white photos and color photos up through the sixties and the seventies so much more appealing than new digital photos. Black and white just seem so much more striking. The whites are so bright and they have so much more character. The shadows are what create the depth and personality of the pictures that I can't help but stare at them.

The hand tinted photos that are subtly colored to pull a rosy hue into the cheeks of a woman in love or to show off a lovely green suit in the latest cut and style. There is something about these photos that make me wonder about beauty. Even just watching old movies, the big Hollywood hits of the day and it makes me wonder about the standards of beauty that we have today and what is so different about thin Hollywood starlets and those of old Hollywood. I say this because I just watched Meet me in Saint Louis and I was looking at how thin Judy Garland was in that film. She looks considerly thinner than any starlet on today's silver screen. Maybe it was just the way that her clothes were cut or how truly thin she was but it was almost disgusting to look at her.

The colors in that film are beautiful. I love the colors of the clothing and the backgrounds. I love color. I love deep hues. I love contrasting colors that make the movie pop. I know that now I really just seem to be rambling but that's what I love about old movies and the transition from black and white to color and I think that is really what it does that the way I feel is what makes me ramble and wander about the topic and never really say anything...kinda like being in love.

love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment